How and Why We Need your
A) To complete the subscription process immediately for our free biannual newsletter titled Stimulus, you must fill in the three fields at the bottom of this page: Email Address; First Name; Last Name. Under the headline "How We Use your Information", you need to tick the box titled "Email". Then at the bottom of the page, click on "Subscribe to list".
Once you press "Subscribe to list", the page will display a red "Error" message
on your screen if you received the newsletter in the past. This is not really an "Error"
– it is simply Mailchimp indicating that you were already in their database previously and that they now want you to "update your profile" to receive future Stimulus
To update your profile, you press the link that will appear on your page saying "Click here to update your profile". This will be located immediately under the "Error" message.
First-time readers who never received Stimulus
notifications in the past will not receive a red "Error" message.)
After you press "Click here to update your profile" to indicate your desire to do so, Umalia will send you an email with a secure link that will take you to a Mailchimp form where you can implement the update by clicking the link that says "Update your preferences".
Pressing the "Update your preferences" link allows you to verify your information and make sure the "Email" checkbox is selected. Clicking the button at the bottom "Update Profile" completes the entire process to register for future email notifications when a new issue of our Stimulus
newsletter is posted on the Umalia website.
The registration steps described above (points A, B & C) are required by Mailchimp: we thank you for your time in following the steps involved in this one-time registration process.
- For those who wish to know more about why we are asking you to go through these steps to subscribe, we have included Point Nos. 2 through 10 below with more information about the E.U.'s General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR).
- Under terms of the GDPR, we need to have proof as to whether you wish for us to communicate with you occasionally in order to inform you as to when Umalia has published a new issue of our biannual newsletter titled, Stimulus. This privacy protection, in effect as of May 25, 2018, requires companies to obtain “unambiguous consent” even for “non-sensitive data” such as the names and email addresses of any European Union (E.U.) citizens.
- The GDPR has been ratified into law in the E.U.’s 27 countries. The United Kingdom, which has voted to leave the E.U., has nonetheless adopted the GDPR standards regarding privacy protection for their citizens. In total, the E.U. and U.K. have over half a billion citizens who are protected by the GDPR.
- Due to Umalia’s belief in the sanctity of privacy rights for citizens worldwide – as well as the fact that we do have readers in the E.U. – we have opted to abide by the terms and conditions of the GDPR, even though it is considerably tougher than the analogous privacy laws in the United States and Canada, where Umalia is located.
- Umalia does not try to sell you anything or use your personal information – name and email address – for any purpose other than to send you a notification to let you know about the most recent edition of our newsletter, Stimulus.
- MailChimp says that it delivers “billions of emails a month for millions of users” and has multiple “world-class data centers around the United States” with top-level digital and physical security in place in order to protect the personal information of email recipients. Full information on their security measures can be found at: https://mailchimp.com/about/security/
- Even if you opt now to receive notifications when we publish a new issue of our Stimulus newsletter, there will be an “Unsubscribe” button included in each email we send you in the future – in case you change your mind and wish to stop receiving them. If you were to “Unsubscribe” at any time, your name and email address would be expunged from the database.
- In summary, this is a one-time-only permission form that has to be completed by you in order for Umalia to have proof that we have respected your privacy rights under terms of the GDPR while processing your request to receive occasional newsletter notifications from us.
- Thank you for taking the time to fill out the fields below if you wish for us to send you newsletter update notifications in the future.
Lucie Bourgeois – President, Umalia Inc.